PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training at Liverpool
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2011, 08:25
Cumulogranite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as always there are pluses and minuses!! I trained upto my first solo at EGGP before moving elsewhere for a number of different reasons.

On the plus side there is nothing like mixing it with the big boys from day one, this will make your flying more acurate and your RT very professional. I dont have much experience of the schools there anymore, but the guys that own LOMAC are very very good. They were members of the school I learnt with and taught me a lot just by chatting to them in the club room or offering me a back seat ride now and again, they are a very enthusiastic pair with a wealth of experience in general aviation and it is worth talking to them (No I dont work for them, just have huge respect for them!!)

As always there are down sides, chief amongst them is the fact that this is a busy commercial field. Whilst you get good experience mixing it with the IFR traffic, this can also hinder you. Never think that a one hour lesson will be exactly that, holding over the south bank of the Mersey was a common activity when I was there. Circuits are worse, the most I ever managed was 4 in a one hour lesson, compared with 6 or 7 when I moved to a field in the open FIR. That is if you can get a circuit detail in the first place. You may find yourself having to transit somewhere else first, thus either reducing your circuit detail or adding to your hours, be prepared for it.

Post qualification Liverpool is a good field to operate from, with Sleap and Caernarfon being within easy reach and the knowledge at the back of your mind that it has top class emergency facilities if it all goes wrong !!

As for option it depends where you live, there are schools at Hawarden, Tatenhill, Sleap, it is your money make sure you are happy before spending any of it. Go along and have a trial lesson at 2 or 3 of them and see what you think.

Above all, enjoy it, and welcome to the world of general aviation!!!