PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big Crash at Reno
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2011, 03:27
tartare

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Course layout at Reno

A question - having never been to Reno, I am attempting to understand the layout of the racecourse, relative to the crowd.
From the charts that I can find online, it appears the unlimited course `front' and `back' straits (for want of a better term) both face toward the main grandstand/viewing area.
If I am reading these charts correctly, would it be possible to rotate the racecourse by 45 degrees, meaning that aircraft were flying at highest speed parallel to the viewing area, instead of straight at it?
Or are the terrain issues - I see hills in the background of much of the videos.
I'm pretty sure that post the Ramstein airshow crash, manouveres towards the crowd were prohibited.
I guess at 400+ knots, any distance of less than a mile from the course to the crowd is purely academic if there is a loss of control.
An awful accident - but it would also be a terrible shame if this event was brought to an end.
The engine and air-frame noise from those aircraft and the sight of them is awe-inspiring...