PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article about lack of hand flying skills - FAA concerned
Old 19th Sep 2011, 00:23
Plectron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The regulatory agencies will not take care of this problem for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that many of the inspectors could not now, if ever, hand fly a jet around the pattern, acquire a visual picture, and land in a crosswind with a 50% power failure.

Additionally, many agencies are pretty cozy with their national carriers and will hardly stand up to them on the issue of non-flying FOs. This is a big and endemic problem for some pretty big and successful airlines.

To make matters worse, the traditional sources of hands-on, already trained pilots, military or otherwise, are drying up at the same time as the working conditions of the jobs sour. It is expensive to learn how to fly these days - even as far as getting a private license to see if you like it, and keeping a light airplane at your local field is hardly within the reach of most folks.

Frankly, I don't know how to correct the problem - I am well out of it. I think the best chance for a functional cure is for the insurance agencies to get involved. The flight offices are drinking the Kool-Aide so don't look to them. The BODs are clueless. The public makes their choice of airline by price and how the cabin crews groom themselves.

I don't like standing in line for 30 minutes to use one of the two latrines the airline thoughtfully provides 140 passengers. Nor do I like having to wipe off the seating area before I sit down or eat. I doubt if anyone else does either. But, right now it seems to be the choice with a few notable exceptions. Not my place to advertise I suppose but LH is a hint for one.