PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Etiquette for job hunting in Canada
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2011, 16:29
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
In General (and not really even specific to aviation employment), I would offer a few thoughts about employment etiquette:

Avoid posting things on forums, which could be received poorly by others (particularly if you really have nothing to gain by it anyway!). This can particularly important because some people (like SAS) actually have "hiring pilots" within their job description. The internet is a very easy place to search for information, let alone have it pointed right at you, and you might not be quite as anonymous as you think you are. People remember for longer than you think.... I know that some people who hired me for contracts in aviation, checked up on me on PPRuNe first. Apparently it went well!

Present yourself with the precision, accuracy and care (good spelling and grammar, and the use of whole words) which you would want the prospective employer to think you will be applying to piloting, should he/she hire you to fly an aircraft for them. Lazy shortcutting writer probably means the same attitude applies to your flying - not a good entry image.

In all the things you post and write, allow the co-operative team like aspects of your character to be predominant. Employers are looking for team players, particularly in multi crew environments. The person whose posts reveal an ego, could be less attractive as an employee.

I hope this free advice helps a bit....