PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how to handle a rapid decompression over the Pacific ?
Old 18th Sep 2011, 13:09
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g.f.

You might break out of your FAR 91, small plane world and refer to FAR 121.333 and FAR 121.646. Airliners are REQUIRED to provide for a depressurization in passenger operations at the ETP. Wet footprints are NOT allowed.

I don't have a B737 FPCCM, but you can be assured that the plan has fuel for a diversion at the ETP, either onward to HI or return to CA. We do it in business jets, the airlines do it. Simple or you don't go.
I flew 121 quite often LAX-HNL and return. But, my experience was limited to TWA's L1011-100.

Westbound, once out of LAX about 300 miles SFO was our diversionary alternate until passing the ETP, at which point it became Hilo. Otherwise the wet footprint would be a problem.

Don't know whether that holds true to the 777 or A330 with their awesome range, but it seems like a B737-800 would be more critical than the L1011-100.

BTW, I am in Kauai this week. Landing at Lihue (PHLI) on Friday there was an Alaska Airlines 737 (800?, NG?) parked at the terminal. I presume it came from PANC. Or,perhaps Seattle? Anywhere else seems a bit of a stretch.