PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article about lack of hand flying skills - FAA concerned
Old 18th Sep 2011, 12:38
Microburst2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solution and Liability

ICAO should intervene, by means of an ammendment to Annex 6 part I.

If ICAO makes a recommendation that companies encourage hand flying, (under given circumstances and with a given frequency) so that pilots can maitain a reasonable skill, and also recommend that this skill is checked during sims, then the problem would be greatly solved, including any liability question.

Because ICAO would be the source, and hardly liable for any crash blamed on pilots unduly hand flying, Right?

What I know is was decently skilled in flying a jet (because I had the knowledge, the training and some practice) and it is difficult to keep it when They don't let me hand fly without having to beg and look like Tom Cruise in Top Gun.

When months have passed since my last raw data ILS and then I have a chance, after landing I feel OK because it went reasonably well. But then later I realise that I had to ask if we were cleared because I did not recall the clearance, and also I hadn't thought of many of the many variables I usually think of when I make automated approaches.

Situation awareness is greatly reduced when you have to hand fly and are not used to it. Meaning that the day an airplane loses automation it has a crew with reduced performance.