PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 17th Sep 2011, 23:18
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rigga,

Always happy to agree to disagree - that's what makes these forums more civilised places.

Chugalug, thanks for your kind remarks, accepted on behalf of all the very many excellent engineers out there doing the job. I'm afraid I must gently disagree over the separation between aircrew and engineers in the RAF - it's especially marked in the fast jet area, but apparent everywhere else.

Personally, I'm more relaxed than you are about the way the MAA is formed up, but agree with almost all your points, which are well made. The reason I'm more relaxed is that at the end of the day, MAA are regulators. The correct balance of safety and operational risk is actually achieved and generated by the 'practitioners', guided by sensible regulations. Blind obedience and box ticking is always a bad place to end up.

My view is that at the end of the day, the responsibility for safety and airworthiness must rest with the practitioners (aircrew and engineers) all the way up and down the operational command and engineering chains. Regulations can help that process, but they can never substitute for it.

Best Regards as ever,

Engines