PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big Crash at Reno
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2011, 16:20
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Uh oh, this thread is going downhill fast!

Age could be a factor, but could be a small factor. To be truthful, I very much doubt anyone will ever know that for sure. Stirring that pot here, with so few facts, is totally pointless. I do know that age is a major factor in some amazing training I have had over the years, and as recently as last month, from a super 75 year old private pilot, who's been flying longer than I have been alive. I'm not amazed by his age, I'm envious! I hope I fly as he does, when I reach age...

It would appear that there is reason to suspect a control system failure. It is certain that a serious control system failure could cause a crash in any aircraft. Those who seek out the report in time, will read whatever answers the NTSB comes up with.

For myself (while occupying left seat, in case that somehow matters), when I am required to flight test to dive speed, I check elevator trim tab freeplay and security very carefully. I have had two rebuilt before I would test the aircraft, because I was not satisfied the freeplay was acceptable. What I have seen so far in this really unhappy event assures me that I should keep doing that!

I struggle to imagine anyone here having a personal agenda on this topic!?!. This is a place where people exchange ideas and opinions for entertainment, and perhaps some mind expanding. Don't worry SAS, a few posters seem to have some growing up to do, I know you won't be phased.... I don't recall seeing your posts here for a while, welcome back, if that's appropriate. I look forward to more of your thoughts....

So, if wise people reading here, were to actually try to learn something from the very preliminary FACTS known, and be better pilots in their own right, what would we do?

I'll be paying even more attention to trim tabs, particularly on faster aircraft I fly.... (Oh, and I'm going to act my age!)