PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pilot Lands at Wrong Field
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2011, 22:11
Desert185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OKhalsa

I am alway amazed at local US pilots making derogatory remarks ( at immigration lines ) about foreign pilots being reluctant to accept visual approaches. Come on guys, we probably fly to some US airports once in 6 months or once in a year; we are not familiar with all the visual landmarks, rivers, highways, race tracks etc. When ATC gives rapid fire visual clearances specifying visual landmarks, it is very dicey for anyone unfamiliar with the local scene to accept visual approaches.

The sniggers we get when we need to ask for repeat of ATC instructions, the disparaging remarks when we miss a high speed turn off, etc are all examples of small man syndrome. I have heard US and foreign pilots struggling with ATC in Asia too, or even in Europe.
To keep it fair and balanced, I think I can safely say I have never seen an Asian pilot make a visual approach in Asia, unless you consider Kai Tak's IGS13 to be visual. I have, BTW, and done so a number of times when ATC allowed it. With today's moving map displays, one doesn't need local knowledge in every case. Even without moving maps, a visual to Kansai on a good night can easily be done...with approach nav backup, of course. A visual doesn't necessarily mean not selecting the appropriate nav references.

Language issues? Absolutely. Asia and Europe, both. Goes with the territory for a non-native speaker.

Being derogatory towards each other, justified or otherwise, is a two-way street. Not nice, but a fact of life. We've all had our share of it, even here. Just consider the source and press on.

6'0", BTW.