PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in CA, AZ
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2002, 13:53
david viewing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have flown this area each November since 1985 and concur with the good advice already given here. Basically California can suffer from very poor vis and strong winds which make mountain flying unpleasant. I fly from North Las Vegas and from Prescott, Az and usually decamp to Prescott because the Vegas weather is prone to blow up with strong winds and dust storms at this time of year. On one occasion we sat on the terminal roof at VGT watching full size tornados march down the valley!

Of course, a lot of the time the Vegas and California weather is perfect at this time year. Even then, vis in the greater LA area can go down to a mile or two which can be a shock after 100's of miles of 9999 inbound from the E, looking for an unfamiliar airport in the world's busiest airspace!

Overall, I have found the only serious weather problems to be the fronts which sweep down from the NW and stretch from Mexico to Canada, bringing high winds and poor vis even occasionally in Az. And cloud on the mountains. They are highly predictable, but last for days and if you are to the E of one you just have to wait for it because the turbulence and mountain wash are no fun at all in a Cessna!

I have a site at http://www.viewing.com/arizona/arizmap.htm which you might find of interest.

Prescott is a nice provincial city with little crime, an excellent airport and cool conditions at 5000' altitude. I fly with Northaire although there are several FBO's. Prescott only loses 2-3 days each year through unflyable weather.