PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 and the Miracle on the Hudson
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2011, 17:34
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by National Transportation Safety Board
the airplane did provide maximum performance for the weight and configuration at that time.
Originally Posted by CONF iture
3.5 more degrees before reaching Alpha Max (P98), and probably another 3 additional degrees to reach Alpha Stall … Raise the nose is effective : Less rate of descent + gentler touchdown … That’s a flare.
(...)
But for the period AoA is increasing as long as not stalled, the 320 will behave like the glider : rate of descent will diminish.

That’s the desirable effect of a very temporary situation known as the flare. I believe you, me, or any pilot on this world use more or less happily that very technique for every landing.
Now, if I knew nothing about aerodynamics and especially about drag curves, I would have a difficult time when deciding which version to believe; the one written and signed by the government appointed panel of experts or the one by the anonymous PPRuNe contributor. Tough one, eh?

Still I wonder whether people expressing their dismay about the performance of various accident investigation boards take themselves seriously enough to make their views clear to those who appoint such boards or are they just pulling our legs. Transport safety boards and governments don't read PPRuNe.