PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 16th Sep 2011, 07:02
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said Engines (and AA)

As aircrew, I once believed that the engineering practices would keep me safe from being killed by the disintegration of the aircraft in flight, or similar. Once upon a time I WAS correct. But I didn't realise that those safety-conscious engineers like yourself and Tuc had had their hands tied behind their back for so long and that the airworthiness process had been almost totally dismantled.

That is what rankles - now that I have left the Services, it is students and friends of mine who are flying aircraft around in the pitiful state that you describe - makes my blood boil. I like Tourist's aggressive approach (but this is only wholly appropriate in the air, on ops IMHO). However, it is all pointless hot air should you operate aggressively only to lose an expensive aircraft and priceless crew just because it fell apart in the air (XV179, XV230 et al). F*cking pointless!

Neither do I believe Tourist's mantra that 'you have to lose a few to prove you are doing it right'. You are entitled to your opinion, old bean but that's absolute twaddle and a somewhat Melchett-esque thought-process that went out with the ark, or at least, trench warfare. Baaah! However, I know you will disagree but I hope one day you can realise there is another way; its up to you, of course. Good luck and FLY SAFE!
Flipster