PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Garmin Aera 795/796
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2011, 22:12
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The addition of optional City Navigator data on the aera 796 allows the user to search and locate any desired surface address for use as a flight plan waypoint or for direct-to navigation. This makes it even easier for helicopter and fixed-wing operators to respond to critical missions around streets and highways, survey land or perform search and rescue operations.
Sounds like an interesting feature
No doubt a load of features that will only work in the US, like most....

I think i'll stick to the iPad with a better & bigger screen, weather (that works in europe), notams (that work in europe), airport plates in which ever style you like (Jepp, AIP, soon pooleys....), $2000 less price tag, and probably a much better battery. oh yeah, and no expensive annual updates, and plenty of entertainment when the rain moves in. Garmin are ok, but old hat in my opinion, when will they give in and produce an app

(edit: I'm know their panel mount displays above the 430 (IFR, GPS approaches etc..) are no doubt great, but thats a different issue, the portable ones are always fiddly, expensive, have poor batteries and are outdated within 2 years when you start looking at the new Garmin 89465.... I'm not sold)