PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Today is Battle of Britain Day
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2011, 18:53
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Back in the "bad old days" when Officers commanded (with the Warrant Officer's say so and the support of the SNCO's), we used to have eight RAF Stations "At Home" days on the nearest weekend to 15th September to celebrate/remember the Battle of Britain. I know because I organised/coordinated them (and wrote the Op Order) The new guard would be amazed at the uneccesary cost, the waste of valuable training time and the improper use of resources which was expended to achieve this unique weekend. Anyone else remember?
In actual factthere used to be more held simultaneously. 12 in 1964 and 65 and before that 15. On 19th September 1953, there was 70! including one RCAF station, North Luffenham I think. The date was always the Saturday of the week within which the 15th fell rather than the nearest Saturday to it. By rights, this coming Saturday 17th September is when, for example, the Leuchars show should be held.

That said I think it would be shame if we ever ended up not having at least one R.A.F. Station holding such a display in September.

There can be no better invitation to the general public to join the R.A.F. and other services in marking the Anniversary of what remains the most crucial air battle in history.

FB