PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 15th Sep 2011, 16:05
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Airborne Aircrew

I for one don't think you need to prove anything regarding the 1987 Falklands crash. What you say was repeated under oath during the Mull of Kintyre inquiries and MoD dared not challenge it. Sqn Ldr Burke, the Odiham test pilot, gave equally damning evidence about the same crash. ACM Jenner then misled the House of Commons about it (saying there had only been one previous Chinook crash, at Mannheim). And, finally, in 1993 Boscombe Down cited one of the contributory factors (DASH) as a reason for not recommending CAR for the Mk2, because an ESSENTIAL modification had not been progressed in SIX years.

Tourist - re the fag packet, no I do not think that a correct or even feasible way to design an aircraft with today's technology. I think you misunderstand airworthiness and fitness for purpose. It is a simple fact that the aircraft must be declared airworthy before it is released to service (Chinook Mk2 being the obvious exception in Nov 1993!!). Only then can you make the fitness for purpose judgment, given FFP is an operational term in this sense.