PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low altitude mixture cuts in twin training still occuring despite CASA warnings
Old 15th Sep 2011, 10:47
Avgas172

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avgas, hopefully you've read through some of the posts after yours, which included advice from the engine manufacturer. Pulling the mixture, in most training aircraft since about 1960, does not shut down the engine at all. If the prop stops spinning, which will prevent the reapplication of fuel creating power due to no spark, there's a good chance you've lost control anyway as the speed has dropped below Vmc.
Yes I have, and always happy to abide by the engine manufacturers operating handbook or the aircraft POH, however that is not the point I made. An engine needs spark, air & fuel all at the same time to be considered to be operating. Remove any one of the three and it is in fact shut down. An aero engine windmilling is no different to a car engine braking down a hill with the ignition off (or out of fuel), the engine is not 'operating', in the same scenario with all components of combustion present the car can be said to be coasting, even if the throttle cable had broken the engine is still operating (although unable to supply thrust) as opposed to having no fuel in which case it has 'shut down' .

Kharon, for the first time ever I agree with you.