PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rudder issues
Thread: Rudder issues
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2011, 01:51
Pilot DAR

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts
AucT,

I'm not sure, if you are Apt to Dable with Pat and Freda. Concentrate on planes for now....

The next time you're out in the venerable 152 try the following:

Clearing turns, safe altitude, watch for traffic etc.

Feet flat on the floor. Roll the plane into about a 30 degree bank in about two seconds. As soon as you reach about 30 degrees of bank (precise angle not important), at the same rate roll it back through level to 30 degrees the opposite direction, then back through level to the first direction, and so forth. Keep going. Once you've got a nice rhythm going (it'll only take two or three full cycles), glance at the ball. It'll be slamming from side to side in the turn co-ordinator. (the other person in the plane will be too, and they'll have a foul look on their face).

Watch out the front, and notice the plane sliding sideways through the sky. Keep doing this, until you really feel you're going to loose control, or the plane is going to end up going backward through the sky (it won't, don't worry).

Now you know how not to fly.

Now repeat the traffic lookout, and do the same thing again ('cause you'll be more eyes in this time). Use the pedals with gusto, and co-ordinated with, or slightly leading the aileron, to keep the ball no more than halfway away from centered at all times. Continue practicing until you can do it.

What you will find, is that if you very slightly lead the turn with a noticeable amount of pedal, you can crank the ailerons as quickly as you want, and the ball will stay in the middle. As long as all of this is done slower than maneuvering speed, and the angle of bank remains within 30 degrees or so of level, there is no safety concern in any of it.

As for power... Haha! in the 24 years I've owned my 150, I have never noticed that it has "power". It just happily gets airborne, and gets where it's going, in it's own time. It is very unlikely that pedal use is required to compensate for power in a 150/152, it's more likely compensating for wind, or other asymmetry (that you induced).

It's good to consider it though. You will notice a need for lots of pedal in a 300HP or more propeller aircraft, particularly a taildragger.

Anticipating control inputs needed to correct for things like power, flap, landing gear changes is wise, though perhaps a little premature for a new pilot to get too worried about. Just concentrate on being aware of what the plane is doing, and should be doing, and assure that it is doing what you want it to do.