PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar legal action update
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2011, 05:50
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You've got a year to go get them!

I'd suggest checking out advanced flight theory in QLD. 6 week course and it will be a breeze if you're fresh from NZ theory. In fact, don't even bother with the NZ ones. Get your CPL, convert your licence in Australia, do the Australian ATPL subjects and once you can hold an Australian ATPL you'll be able to get one issued on the basis in NZ too. Head north, build some command time and join the ranks of guys who can call themselves Pilots. Take your Mrs and kids. I'm sure it will be an adventure for them too. Kununurra 2004 was a good place to be (hey fellas)....

As for more money? Puleeeease.... You can get 65k driving a piston twin now (I was getting just under 50K in 2006 driving piston twins). You'll also get about 95k-110k to be a turboprop skipper these days which is looking like a better career than a low cost carrier earning less than 50k after paying for your endorsement (Bras, dash etc)

Most guys are taking pay cuts to fly jets for airlines. In fact a turboprop FO is doing better than a Jetstar NZ FO. They also have their training covered and are paid from day 1 of their training.

Hell you will be earning a similar take home pay flying as a single engine VFR Pilot in Australia as you will a Jetstar FO in NZ. Play the exchange rate and it's even better (circa 30%).

Don't get ripped off.