PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar legal action update
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2011, 04:01
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm more than happy to do the hard yards to get into a job but I will never do something thats going to put my family in undue hardship just for the sake of posterity.
Undue hardship? welcome to the Jetstar cadetship!

On a side note you will not work initially in NZ. You dont have the required experience

This means you will have to come across to Australia to get 500 hours experience.

Luckily Australian Pilots were so outraged over the Jetstar cadet programs and contracts we had a senate enquiry. The results recommended a minimum of an ATPL (1500 hours) to work as a first officer on jet aircraft.

The unions were also involved. Now cadets are required to be on the EBA, and their training bond has been reduced along with paying less for the program.

This has basically caused cadets to become more expensive the direct entry guys. Coupled with the extra sectors to get them up to speed, and the recent 'incidents' I think the whole thing will die a quick death. Sucks if you're caught in the middle of it after paying the sharks.

As for Jetstar, they are now getting 'free' highly experienced Pilots from Qantas which will fulfill their recruitment needs for the short term.

As for the 'free' bit, who do yo think is paying for the cost of retraining and endorsements? It won't be Jetstar!