PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar legal action update
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2011, 02:40
eternity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PhoenixNZ,

If you want to go for a cadetship then go for it.

I dont agree with what the airlines are doing but I do understand how people can be 'lured' into cadetships.
Being an "Airline Pilot" is a really 'cool' job......or so it seems. And kids can be fast tracked into it these days. Sure the pay is crap but it usually doesnt matter because these 19 years olds are usually still living with Mum and Dad. If they have to move, they'll flat with 3 other blokes and have a great time!!!

But it's only when you get into your late 20's - early 30's that you dont want to live with 3 other guys in a party house anymore, but you want to settle down, buy a house etc; you pull out the calculator and it tells you that you cant do any of that...

PhoenixNZ, when I was your age (Im assuming your around 14.....15??), I would have gone for a cadetship if they existed....but they didnt so I went out bush and spent time eating flies and experiencing the "stink"....and I ended up in an airline anyway. Looking back on it now (it was only a couple of years ago), I am glad that I did time in GA because it taught me skills and gave me confidence that I can handle myself in scary situations. Hopefully I never need to utilise that confidence ever again...but I know that I have it.
These are things that you probably wont experience as a cadet pilot.....until many years later when the bars on your shoulders stand for "Its All Your Fault" - and you have a 200hr fellow next to you......and then you are both going into unchartered waters togather. Now thats scary stuff!!!!

You complain that there are limited options out there.....not true. There are many opportunties out there, you just need to go looking for them. There are plenty of kiwis that have come over to Oz, got a car and headed up north, and they all found jobs....its not hard.

Over the last few days you must have typed thousands of word into this thread. Instead of spending hours upon hours on this forum, I suggest that you spend that time studying for a cadet interview or starting to ring operators around the place, instead of winding these old buggers up.

Eternity.