PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TURKISH A340 SKID OF RWY AT VABB
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2011, 23:00
captjns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So tell me… what’s the stigma about using N9 after an all night operation especially in raining conditions? Isn't it easier on wheels and brakes and less obtrusive on the passengers comfort?

When one is cleared to land... the runway is their piece of real estate. During the approach before landing, ATC can request you to plan to vacate by a designated runway exit point. If the request exceeds either the aircraft’s or pilot’s limitation than the response should be unable.

When we cover our approach briefing, don’t we discuss the runway exit point?

During the landing roll ATC can request, but not demand that you vacate prior to the end of the last available exit point on the runway. If unable the crew’s response should be “Negative... unable.” I can assure you that there will be no investigation, no risk of loss of license or charges on incompetent airmanship or letter of intent to violate.

Familiar with LAHSO? Landing and Hold Short Operations for cross runway operations in the US? LAHOS would be announced on the ATIS with specific instruction to advise ATC on first contact if unable to comply. This permits ATC to properly coordinate aircraft to the same airport using crossing runways to sequence departures and arrivals in order to minimize traffic flows or disruptions.

If one waited until the last minute whilst on short final, then disruptions arise and a discussion may be expected between the pilot and ATC, again resulting with no repercussions.

At the end of the day, I don't provide unsolicited advice to ATC on how to control their aircraft, and I’ve never accepted their advice on how to safely operate my aircraft.