PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA special tax on corp aircraft owners
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2011, 20:37
whenrealityhurts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most corporate biz owners are completely oblivious to the regulatory issues facing their flight departments...it's simply a 'fly me here, why is the plane down, how long, why did it cost that much' type of mentality.

More then a few of us flight department managers see some of this stuff coming down the pike and know much of it is started by the airlines to deflect some of their costs onto us, trying to spread their issues all over GA etc. So if an airline crashes because their pilots can't figure out where they are...we have to go out and get flight recorders and ground prox. Did RVSM come about because of all the corporate planes clogging up the skies...nope, but it cost every aircraft owner a 100k to comply. What about TCAS? Who's flying a G5 into that little field with Taylorcraft circling the pattern? So I guess it's there to keep from running into an airliner when you fly into LAX.

There have been all sorts of proposals out there to dump more costs onto corporate aircraft owners, and quite frankly despite the NBAA being there to support us, they are about as effective as the NRA is when it comes to gun control.

It's been my experience that there just aren't enough corporate aircraft out there to seriously generate any kind of serious revenue for the federal government, even when the FAA wanted to do a 'pay to fly' type of deal, like in Europe. Anytime 'fairness' comes up with regard to how much planes fly, what services they use, their impact on the environment, etc..it's the airlines that should take a little $ out of their profits to help pay the tab.