PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 13th Sep 2011, 19:50
thefodfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tourist

As you point out, the graph has been almost flat lining for some time. Indeed for many years, the low level of accidents make it very difficult to draw much in the way of conclusions regarding safety. However, it is the rate of incidents that is far more useful and this is where safety and operational effectiveness collide. The more avoidable incidents there are, the less aircraft there will be on the line in the morning. The more money spent fixing such incidents, the less money there is for modifications and capability equipment. Safety, if done properly, informs decision makers to make informed choices, whether that's in a cockpit or the office of a PT. The hard bit is getting past the attitude that 'It's all a load of bollocks this safety stuff." A French friend I know told me a story about a pilot who thought safety was for girls, right until he got knocked over on the flight line because he wouldn't wear a dayglo vest to walk to his aircraft. At the end of the day, it's all about cultural attitudes to safety and I prefer a somewhat more positive one that you appear to advocate.