PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Welcome back pollution :(
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2011, 14:56
superfrozo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

For those posting that the athiest baby-eaters are (apparently) so "angry" and "vitriolic" in their condemnation of Christian rhetoric, consider this analogy:

In the course of an otherwise innocent, meandering conversation with someone, the subject of 9/11 pops up. You casually remark words to the effect of what terrible destruction was wrought with such simple means... box cutters & plane tickets and such.
"Oh no" says the indignant conversee, "the US gov't was integral to the 9/11 plot - they trained the hijackers, sent Special Forces to wire up the WTCs with demolition charges and then coordinated the whole show".

What do you do? Ignore this person's insane ramblings or do you try and talk some sense into them?

In this instance, you spend 10 minutes patienty explaining the civil engineering behind the WTCs collapse, the essentially impossible task of a controlled demolition of such building size being accomplished unnoticed, or the utterly insurmountable complexities of administering such a grand scale conspiracy involving thousands of people.

You layout your case logically, cite sound references with consistent data that supports the "model" of what you're trying to explain and politely enquire as to whether they have thought critically about the likelihood of their position on this matter, he/she nods politely then says....

"...well how come the Jews all left the buildings 15 minutes before the attack?!?"

Now what do you do?? Of course, you "facepalm", give a curt and instantly dismissive summary of their so-called "logic" and tell them they're a complete fool. I reckon that's where we're at now. There have been many refutations of some absurd claims ("evolution is unproven!", "you need a (Christian of course) god to be good!"... seriously guys, you really believe that?!?) and all that is offered is a subsequent and sometimes more absurd follow up.

When my 5y.o. uses my passport as a colouring book, I don't get "angry", I educate her because she's not yet developed those critical thinking skills needed to identify and understand certain concepts. That patience isn't warranted here - you are all (presumably) professional aviators who must exhibit a high degree of critical thinking in your job.

As IS keeps exhorting: why don't you use those same vitally important critical thinking skills in ALL aspects of your life?!?

Try it tomorrow, you maybe thrilled with the result. I know I would be.