PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Domestic - Wannabes & Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2011, 13:12
GalleyHag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your original post stated " This means that after a certain period of time of working you will not be offered a full time position. I have been working alongside fellow casuals that have been casual for over 8 years. Eight years and no opportunity for career progression."

The point I was making is that statement is blatantly untrue, permanent positions have been offered if you choose not to take them up due to your location that choice is yours it is not the fault of Qantas. Many Brisbane based MAM casuals commute that choice is yours and yours only.

As for the hours maybe that is your perception but if crew choose to accept permanent positions they are aware of the hours. QCCA crew can work up to 240 hours over an 8 week period, I think QD is something like 150 per month to normal people they are not long hours. It is true the hours are more than Qantas mainline crew and the pay less that is just the reality of having a flying career now. Do I agree no, but they are the facts.

I think you would be very surprised to hear the attrition rate at QCCA is quite low, they have the flexibility to bid for days off and if you ask any Brisbane QCCA commuters the trip swap system gives them great flexibility to manage their flying and reduce their hours if they so choose.

This point makes me wonder if you even do work for MAM as a Qantas Flight Attendant as you would know that QCCA is quite successful for the business. They are not ditching it and they are not hiring casual cabin crew for the international division which QCCA crew operate. Furthermore there is no such company as QCD its actually called QD as in Qantas Domestic and I am surprised you are not aware of this (maybe it was typo on your part).

Exactly you painted the picture and so did I, I filled in the gaps you choose to leave out. The fact is and you should know this better than anyone that flying changes, crewing requirements change, the business strategy changes, casual crew have always been used and will continue to be used that doesnt mean that permanent positions will not be offered in the future.