PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who here is a foreigner working as a pilot in the USA?
Old 13th Sep 2011, 11:22
MungoP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What fascinates me is just WHY people continue to enquire about working in the US.
Get this straight.. the US has the worst T&Cs in the civilized world. Most pilots here would give their 1st born male child for the opportunity to earn the salaries and have the benefits offered to their colleagues in Europe.
I was interested to see a comment in the BizJet threads regarding holiday entitlement offered to GAMA crews.. complaining that it's 'only' 20 days... I was offered a PIC position flying a Part 135/Part 91 jet recently where the holiday entitlement was 6 days per annum. A very large US based international company that I left one year ago offered 10 days vacation per annum for the first 6 years of employment.. their UK operation offers 35 days on joining !
There's an underlying fear here in the US that's only just below the surface of every employee.. that of losing your job. Unlike in Europe you'll have very little support... The bosses hold all the cards and most will 'downsize' a workforce in a heartbeat if it means an extra $10 on the profits of the annual balance sheet. They talk a lot about the importance of 'loyalty' but the loyalty is a one way street as far as they're concerned. I've been lucky but I've seen several colleagues with families discarded without a moments hesitation on the whim of a CEO.
Don't get me wrong, America has some great and positive aspects to it but the employment market is not one of them.