PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low altitude mixture cuts in twin training still occuring despite CASA warnings
Old 13th Sep 2011, 10:16
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems to me I remember this

Merged: The multi engine debate.
Quote:-

One well informed gentleman in other posts has mentioned both CAAP 5.23-2 (0) and the FAA Airman's Handbook as valid multi engine training references.

The question "do they read their own material? " was asked. (Good one). I have been fairly reliably informed that certain operators have been told (nothing written) to remove briefing notes (FAA manual and CAAP) relating to safe OEI operations from operations/ training manuals?.

Seems the FAA have no idea about OEI and the associated methods of teaching same.

The on going PA 31 saga would clearly indicate they do not read their own material; but this gets better. Apparently, this was the third go around of training these blokes have gone through. Seems that there was no "evidence" that "correct" asymmetric training was given during both the first and second lot of training. This is despite about a dozen blokes being recalled to ensure that asymmetric training was conducted and completed "to the satisfaction of" the instructor pilot, after the first training sessions were declared invalid.
It is rumored that the final instructor pilot asked for directions on exactly what was meant, then politely but firmly declined the invitation to conduct mixture induced engine cuts at low speed and height. Bravo that man or woman.

It seems that the use of a humble "Elite AT11 – I" was deemed as satisfactory for this exercise. There is nothing wrong with the Elite, neither the manufacturer or operator make claims that this device is any thing else except a very good, valuable training aid within it's certified limits.

The idea that it can accurately represent a PA 31 at MTOW weight with OEI is beyond a joke.

The notion that this exercise was any thing else but "negative training" borders on both reckless and negligent. IMHO I doubt that the exercise could even be legally claimed toward a type rating. Would they knock back a type rating conducted in this manner. You could just about bet the house on it.

My bold - Fair dinkum. I ask you