PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying dog from US to UK
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2011, 10:05
JliderPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a RAF exchange guy in the States also, May 2010 I used American Airlines to transport my two wee pups out to DFW from LHR, BA were more expensive and AA have 4 flights a day to Dallas so that is one reason why I chose them. I contacted the Cargo dept directly in LHR, just google it (very helpful lady gave me all the details of the DFW contacts). Booked and paid over the phone after a few emails, dogs flew unaccompanied and I picked them up in Dallas. I would steer clear of these pet travel companies, some were quoting me £1400+ for my two dogs (22lbs each, Cairn Terriers). I paid just over £700 using my own pet carriers and the booking and paperwork were easy. Just make sure you follow all the instructions from DEFRA; your USA Vet should get you sorted regarding jabs and paperwork. Some airports have travel bans on animals at certain times of the year because of temperatures (DFW does and Vegas might also), airline can advise you. I was able to book a direct flight for them as well which I thought was better than changing planes and possibly involving an over night rest stop for them (which costs you more). Any more gen reqd PM me.