PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pilot Lands at Wrong Field
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2011, 09:04
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Akali Dal - Just to clarify my background, I am not a GA pilot but an Airbus A320 Captain and 'Check Airman' (called something different here in the UK) who has been on the Airbus for more than 10 years. Before that I flew various other commercial types and before that I was in the military. Like I said, there are numerous dreadful errors out there waiting to beset us all, and I would be the first to say it could happen to me. I am therefore doing my best to ensure it does not! In recent years, for example, there have been countless examples of very senior pilots getting lost on taxiways, entering runways without permission or taking off and landing on the taxiways instead of using the runways provided! Virtually every one of the pilots involved were competent, capable individuals with solid training records but who 'lost the plot' for a small but critical period of time. Thus far, I have avoided being involved myself in one of these incidents, but that just means the statistics are stacking up against me! As I said previously, half the battle is recognising that we are all capable of this happening to us. Thereafter we have to provide conscious mechanisms to make sure it does not.