PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mt Erebus accident.
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2011, 05:11
gulfairs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
" I always had a chart in the cockpit and checked the latitude and longtitude readout, but the crew of the fatal flight never referred to it."

In those days we were overawed in the accuracy of the triplex INS compared to the nearly correct doppler that was still used on the DC8.
After loading a flight plan into the computer, if it wasn't aleady loaded as a route as a 'from via to format', one rarely if ever cross checked the CDU waypoints with the printed edition at hand.
It wasn't until we operated the steam driven, cable operted switch, B747-200 was the stage by stage cross checked; and that was because the 747 INS was almost clockwork, as well we had all had our arses kicked after the horse got out( so to speak)
A.G Vette's redition of mind set, visual accurity ,seeing what you expected even it it did not quite fit theses, is probably closer to the truth than most pilots would or will admit.
It certainly was not Morry Davis's fault that the accident took place, but the brains in Flight route planning/flight planning do really have to look at them selves and try and be honest about the pre 901 events.
Jim Collins and crew were victims of a system that was run by a bunch of men who did suffer from alto ego, particularly if one challenged them over any point in navigation ,operation and performance.
Air New Zealand broke more rules in performance operation because of cost in useable dollars than most people would ever believe.
Another incident was discovered by a very poor take off performance at Hong Kong one evening, due to a power plant change in allowable limits, the aircraft then increased in mauw for take off but the new limits on the engines were not applied because it woudl shorten the hot section overhaule life.
I succeeded in getting 5(five) consecutive route checks because I challenged aircrew management over this issue and we were technically taking off over weight.
Such was the thinking in those days.
In fact I retired 5 years early over a disputed take of performance in a steam driven aircraft out of LGW again because it would increase operating costs if we did it according to the manufacturer's specifications.
I could write on but Have diverted a little from Poor old Jim Collins case.
He was not at fault---Air New Zealand flight management was.
I flew on after leaving Air NZ, working in Europe, Ireland NZ and self employed,.
I make the unreserved statement that.
In all my working life, Air New Zealand LTd stand head and shoulders above the rest as being the WORST employer I ever worked for.

Now go back and look again at the Mahone report, Impact Erebus, and other publications on that accident and the route cause is obvious.

GR

Last edited by gulfairs; 13th Sep 2011 at 06:22.