PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NDB approach in the 70s with a jetliner
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2011, 03:31
Desert185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll blend generic with flying it in a steam-gauge DC-8.

Check the RMI "dogears" to the ADF position. Since there are no off flags the NDB ident should be monitored during the approach. I always use the BFO function to get a good tune on the ADFs. The digital ADFs don't have this feature, and often don't work too well in countries leaning towards the third world definition where the transmitter is slightly off frequency. Thankfully, RNO doesn't have this issue.

Set the altitude alerter to the initial approach altitude (10,500) then, 8,200, then MDA (6,060). RA should be set to 1700'.

This would be flown with no FD or autopilot after turning inbound, as using them would overly complicate and distract from tracking the RMI inbound and leveling at the proper altitudes.

Overhead SPARKS @ 10,500 from NICER outbound with flaps 35 and gear down (approach configuration prior to the NDB outbound). Speed will be ~150 KIAS, depending on weight. If you fly it clean, speed will be too high and you'll easily exceed the 10 NM in the procedure turn. I would begin the PT as soon as I got close to intercepting the outbound course or that 10 NM limit is going to happen pretty quickly.

The configuration will allow a fast enough descent from 10,500 to 9,000 during the PT. The NDB inbound altitude is only 800' less at 8,200'.

Flying the PT level with flaps 35 and gear down will result in ~3,500 PPH fuel flow, which will be a good reference for flying level @ minimums. Just set the thrust and fly level. Airspeed will be very close, and just a tiny bit of power change will have you onspeed so you don't have to hunt for the correct power setting.

You don't fly a constant groundspeed. You fly flap 35 approach speed and figure your inbound groundspeed for timing to the MAP. At 150 kts, the time to MAP is 2+07, which will be more than enough time to descend from 8,200 at the FAF at 1,500 FPM to the Category D minimums of 6060'.

Normally, at 1,000' AGL the descent rate is reduced to 1,000 FPM (FF: 2500 PPH).

When getting the runway in sight, flaps to 50 degrees (full) and slow another 10 knots.

Having said all that, the NDB minimums are so high that the approach is rarely used. Even at night, shooting a visual to RNO from normal vectoring altitudes. Even the normal ILS has high mins. Some companies and aircraft are certified for the Silver ILS, which has much lower mins for aircraft with steep-profile, MAP, climb gradients. See that obstruction just south of the runways @ 5,023'? That's Rattlesnake Hill. That, combined with the high terrain surrounding the airport is why the mins are so high. Imagine losing an engine on the MAP...

Welcome to the challenging, rewarding, fascinating and entertaining world of the steam-gauge.