PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learning in USA - weather
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2011, 21:01
HLJHLJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, welcome to PPRuNe, where threads NEVER just follow the magenta line
So I am learning!

I would not get too bogged down about the weather. Just plan on doing it and accept the weather as it is. It would not be a showstopper at any time of year.
That's what I needed to know! I don't mind losing some flying time, and can schedule in a little leeway. I'm just worried about having a repeat of the problems with UK weather and being unable to fly at all. That would be pretty disastrous for me, as I probably won't have the time or money to be able to make a second trip before my exams expire.

Are you based in Ecuador? When you finally get your JAA license - how and where will you intend using it and maintaining it? If you are planing to remain in South America, why not get the 'local license' until such time as you may eventually move back to the UK?
I'll be leaving Ecuador next year, I'm not sure where to yet, though probably somewhere in Asia, so there's not much point me getting a local licence. There's other problems with it as well; I'd have to take a written test in Spanish, and my Spanish isn't good enough. Even to fly solo here under an instructor I would need to take the test first.

Plus I am based in Quito and I don't think I would physically be able to handle flying here. They say you acclimatise to the altitude after a few weeks, but I think it's more that you just get used to being unable to breathe. The pilots I know from the coast won't fly light aircraft up here for the same reason, although the Quitenos seem to manage without problems.

There are other issues as well though.

If I can work things out to finish off in USA (and Naples is my first choice at the moment) I might try and get a stand alone FAA licence at the same, just to keep my options open, but ... one step at a time for now.