PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal accidents
Thread: Fatal accidents
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2011, 19:13
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot Dar

My comments are nothing to do with regulations or whether a newly qualified pilot is licenced to carry pax or not.

My comments were directed at one poster who thought he had the rights to judge his own risks and suffer the consequences of taking those risks.

I purely pointed out that on the whole passengers are not aviation knowledgable and not in a position to make their own risk decisions.

They should be aware of the experience of the pilot who is holding their lives in his hands so they can either accept or reject that flight.

New pilots are just one example another example maybe a hot shot IMC pilot who risks a single in bad weather, icing and high winds.

The PAX are probably unaware that the aircraft never mind the pilot is not up to the job (I am thinking of a couple of recent CFIT accidents one where the Captain should have been shot for what he did.

Airlines have multiple back up systems, far better performance, deicing and anti ice. Two pilots trained to far higher standards than the PPL hence the far lower accident rate.

The PAX should be far better informed of who they are flying with and the capabilities of the aircraft re weather that they are flying in.

This is so that they can make their own risk choice on risk.

The new pilot sporting a pair of raybans might look the part but IMO should state that he is a recently qualified pilot of low experience.

The passenger can then make his /her own judgement?

An old instructor of mine used to judge pilots by saying " would you be happy to send your two 8 and 10 year olds up with that guy" ?

There are plenty of experienced and unexperienced pilots who my answer would be NO, NO, NO!!!

Its all very well saying X is licenced so must be good but I know a few licenced Dick heads who you wonder how they ever got a licence and who gave it them.

Pace