PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal accidents
Thread: Fatal accidents
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2011, 14:19
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be interesting to see the stats for non pilot error deaths in light aircraft. IE where the pilot did everything absolutely right and could have done absolutely nothing to prevent his/her death.

Being a newbie PPL I'm still at the stage where I see people making decisions on the ground and think 'Well I wouldn't do that but what do I know' but I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that they maybe shouldn't be doing that regardless of experience. Although mouth shut and ears open at my stage obviously.

As far as risk goes, it goes with the hobby. I'm not talking about pro pilots here, just people who don't have to fly in light aircraft if they choose not to. I'm an ex motorcyclist, never had a prang other than sliding on some black ice once and rubbing some footrest and handlebar off but then I used to be a defensive driver. Still am when driving a car. My old man told me to treat everyone else on the road as an idiot and you won't go far wrong, I apply the same philosophy to flying. I also use the old maxim of if it can go wrong it will, so I'm always looking for a field to land in and I certainly am not over keen flying in hilly terrain unless there's an out.

It seems to me there are lots of things you can do to minimise risk, it depends how much you value your own skin (and others) I suppose.

Last edited by thing; 12th Sep 2011 at 14:31.