PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 5
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 5
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2011, 10:49
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just like people who gossip about others because they don't have enough to talk about from their own lives, I think the MAN vs BHX 'debate' has only happened because, lets face it, in terms of airline developments, jack is happening and is likely to happen at BHX so its easier to start going on about somewhere else that does seem to be going places. MAN always was, is and will be bigger than BHX for well documented reasons.

BHX has its place in the UK airport business but I think we have to get used to the fact that, due to its location (too close to LON for comfort), failure 10 years ago to embrace the developing loco airline business (concentrating instead on pleasing BA) and a high cost base, it isn't now as important in the UK airport league as people like to think: I very much doubt BHX will overtake LTN or EDI in pax figures or range of short haul destinations offered in the near or even longer term future. Its very unlikely either that BHX will attract a new loco base now (there's only EZY or LS in the running for that, neither are interested). What BHX does have is a solid range of European full service hub connections (although EDI is not far behind on that one) which although will not offer spectacular growth in pax numbers seem to be successful and here to stay. The question is, where can BHX turn now to achieve pax and direct destination growth? The phrase 'up the creek' comes to mind......

PS Worryingly there don't appear to be any new shop openings at BHX either......so there really will be nothing to talk about now!