PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar legal action update
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2011, 08:31
PhoenixNZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question:

Given that the cadets program in the UK has been going on for quite some time now, has there been any documented evidence that these cadets have been involved in any more incidents than a standard pilot has been?

Everyone is coming to the conclusion that cadets are worse pilots than existing/experienced ones but I'm just curious if this is in any way a proven fact or just an assumption that everyone is jumping onto because it supports their own point of view.

I'm not saying your wrong, logic would suggest that if you have more experience then you are less likely to have an incident, but is there anything out there that actually backs up your statements.

The other point I'll make is simply around the availability of jobs in the GA sector. I dont know about Australia but certainly in New Zealand they aren't exactly a dime a dozen. There need to be the jobs available first before one can actually get there.

I'm not 100% certain of going into a cadet program straight out of training. I can certainly see there is some benefit to GA flying for a year or two first. But when push comes to shove if the option is have no job or get into a cadet program, I know which one I'm going for.

You are correct it is the company we should fighting on this cadet issue but what have chosen to ignore is the fact that we have been fighting hence the increase in YOUR T&C.
I dont ignore that at all. I think its great that the unions have been able to get a good outcome. But regardless I dont think its right to be abusing people for taking what is a good job offer just because you dont yourself like that job offer because it MAY (and I stress the word MAY because to my knowledge no existing pilot has lost his/her job or had a reduction in their pay because of the cadet program) have a negative impact on you.

As I've said all along, I completely understand why existing pilots disliking cadet programs I can see where they are coming from. The existing pilots on the other hand make no such effort to understand the position of the cadets being offered these programs. They instead simply abuse and degrade them for simply doing what the cadets feel is their best option.

And in reality I would say that 95% of them if they were in the same positions when they started their flying careers, they would be signing up right along side me. Because what sort of person passes up double the pay and a chance to jump start their career when they are new out of training.