PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar legal action update
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2011, 08:24
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F a r k i n g dreamer!
Everyones going on about how cadet schemes will result in lower pay for everyone across the industry but has anyone actually got anything other than speculation to back that up?

The UK has been running cadet schemes for quite some time, anything that backs up that having a cadet scheme has lowered wages for those more experienced F/Os or Capts? Any job losses because of it? I have searched quite a bit online and found nothing that supports cadet schemes resulting in reduced conditions for existing FOs and Capts.

The reality is that cadet schemes are no different to standard apprenticeships. You do the basic training, you become an apprentice to start learning the more practical skills on a considerably lower than average salary and then as you get the experience you move up the ladder.

Someone explain how cadet schemes are any different to an apprenticeship.
In the UK first it was the low cost carrier. Then it was pay for your endorsement. Then it was pay a ****load of money for a cadetship, then pay for your endorsement. (meanwhile all the wages where coming down as supply of pilots rose).

It has finally culminated in pay for your cadetship, pay for your endorsement, pay for 500 hours line training along with your own accommodation at outports.

Guys are doing this because they think there is a pot of gold waiting for them at emirates if they do.

So basically unless you're in a legacy carrier in Europe, it is pretty hard to get an FO position that pays the bills at all. In fact, you pay to fly the aircraft!

All this because "I had a wife and kids, and needed to get ahead". Problem is there is always someone else willing to go lower as can be attested to the rot in Europe.

NZ will be next. Just wait till the boffins work out how much you lot are prepared to pay for 500 hours line training!

Living the dream.