PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar legal action update
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2011, 00:43
PhoenixNZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So quick to condem

This has certainly been an interesting read from the point of view of an upcoming cadet.

You all seem to forget one simple truth - cadets are people as well. They are simply trying to make the most out of the situation they are in.

In my case, I'm training at the moment. I'm going to spend around 14 months training, during that time earning the bare minimum to survive as a student. I have a wife and two children.

Once I'm done with my training I have very limited options:

1. Go into GA. Get some relevant experience for airline flying and be paid $30k a year (if I'm lucky to get paid at all)
2. Get into a cadet program. Get experience that is 100% relevant for airline flying and get paid $60k a year (minus of course paying back my type/line ratings).

So now I'm a scab simply because I'm going to take the option that gives the best benefit for me and my family. Like any of you existing pilots would have done ANYTHING different if you were in the same position when you started your careers.

Cadet programs are less than perfect. We all know this, every one of us in our course knows that overall cadet programs are going to result in the pay rates for pilots going down. But there are no other better/more reasonable options available. There is such a massive gap between those two options it isn't funny. What reasonable person would ask someone to take half the pay and half the experience just so that they can continue.

Its the jobs of the unions and the industry to detirmine pay rates etc etc.
Its the jobs of cadets and PEOPLE to do whats best for themselves. Dont blame us because JQ is offering a cadet program that is the best option for any pilot wanting to get into airlines.