PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to Peru and back this winter
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2011, 23:45
DPeterson3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lesser Antilles

CS,

Sorry - I didn't see your reply when you posted it.

As I've noted, I've been as far as Nevis many times, but not beyond. I recommend that you avoid the American-held islands, as they are a nuisance, over populated, dirty, and the customs is downright belligerent.

I've had some nice experience in the Bahamas, but generally just over-fly these for a fuel stop in either Providenciales or Grand Turk. I don't think Grand Turk has fuel right now. so you'll have to plan on stopping at Provo. I'm installing the Monroy long-range tanks so I can go non-stop from Provo to Nevis, and have enough left over to run over to Antigua to re-fuel before heading south.

I highly recommend Nevis as a stop-over, although it's not the unspoiled paradise that it was in the 70's, 80's and 90's when it was a regular destination for me. Now it might be described as "spoiled paradise", but that's still a ton better than the cag-hole that describes most of the American Virgins.

If you simply must land on Puerto Rico you MUST phone US Customs and give them your arrival info via phone, ensuring at least a 1 hour notice prior to arrival. Neglect this at your peril.

St. Martin is good for a laugh. Big shopping area on the Dutch side, great food on the French. Clean on the Dutch side, and French on the French side.

St. Barth's is a treat, but you're supposed to get checked out by someone before landing there. I did years ago, but don't know the procedures now. Probably a lot more formal and expensive.

St. Kitts is a big island, and has some excellent resorts, if that's what you're looking for. Supposedly no AVGAS on St. Kitts. Use either St. Martin or Antigua.

Antigua is a good fuel stop and central commercial district for a lot of the surrounding islands.

South of there I cannot say beyond hear-say.

St. Lucia is supposed to be swank and expensive, and lovely.
Grenada beautiful and full of nature, plus nature geeks.
I've always been curious about Guadoloupe, but one must have a certain tolerance for things French.

I plan to try non-stop from Antigua to either Grenada or Trinidad. I'd prefer Tobago, but haven't confirmed I can fuel there.

Hope that helps.

Bon Voyage,

Don

Don