PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radio Calls
Thread: Radio Calls
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2011, 22:15
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
You have a difference from ICAO
To be honest, I don't know...and I don't worry about it. The last time I was a pilot in airspace outside North America was 1985, and ICAO or not, the English was a little hard to understand. Perhaps Canada follows ICAO radio rules, I don't know, and don't worry about it.

When I have used my radio in the manner I related, as are all the other pilots I'm listening to, everyone seems happy, things seem safe, and ATC has no comment. It's been like that for decades. Should I double think myself, worrying about the precise order of the content of my transmission, or it's possible ICAO non compliance? Not if everyone else around me is doing it the same way I am, I'm just flying from A to B as safely a I can.

If no one else in my "local" area is worried about precise adherence to ICAO VFR radio procedures, I'm not going to be either. Of course, should I be flying in ICAO intense regions, and be informed I have made an error, I will certainly make every effort to conform. In the mean time, everyone who heard my ICAO non compliant transmission still knew what I was trying to communicate, and isn't that really the important point?