PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying phobias in aircrew
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2011, 21:30
Trash 'n' Navs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stairway to Heaven Vid

Every step up I was cringing - mostly because each step up meant another step back down again and it's the climbing down bit I fear (oh and standing on the top with the sway)!

Cruise Zombie:- Flying phobia? Yeah, 2 of them:

1 - Aerobatics in any a/c without a MB letdown option. Started after hearing of a Pitts that augered in near my home town - the pilot's leg bone penetrated the floor from the force he was applying on impact. All because the rudder rigging came loose and he lost rudder authority during a spin;

2 - Flying commercial. Every flight I had/have an irrational fear it's going to crash. Earliest memories of it starting was after my 3rd near miss when Joe Lighty appeared in my windscreen during an IRT without a single RDO call entering the circuit - the IRE's sharp intake of breath alerted me to something amiss and looking up, it was clear avoiding action was too late but luckily also unnecessary as he was already in the 12 o'clock passing left. Just one of the reasons I never took up that option on joining civvy street - as pax, nearly 10 years on, it's still there but diminishing over time. About the time I started having kids, the phobia evolved to include hijacking so the original decision was reinforced. Also reckon I read too many crash comics.

I've not heard anyone discuss the topic so well done for raising it. I wouldn't have a clue if I'm in my own minority but it doesn't matter to me.

Last edited by Trash 'n' Navs; 10th Sep 2011 at 21:46. Reason: Typing speed exceeds spell checking speed!