PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article about lack of hand flying skills - FAA concerned
Old 10th Sep 2011, 11:53
Plectron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once upon a time I found that most pilots I flew with were avoiding visual approaches. The company encouraged FOs to do practice sims on their own time. They had the required Visual Circuits wired by memorizing sim triggers - ie at this point do this, hold this attitude exactly, turn here, etc. As all the check flights were done in the sim and always at the same airports under the same conditions that worked swell. No one EVER expected to see a vis app on a line check.

That doesn't work out so well in the real world.

Several times on the line, after I had flown a visual approach, I had FOs confide in me that that was the first time, in their life, they had done one outside the sim. Huh?

It seems to me that the insurance companies would get involved with this as some regulatory agencies seem hopelessly out to lunch in regards to testing real world skills. I cannot imagine that Lloyd's really wants someone wrapping a perfectly controllable airplane into a ball of aluminum simply because they were incapable of doing a night visual approach into an airport with snarky weather. Right. You aren't supposed to do that. But I had a colleague who had to because the turb was so severe on the ILS due to terrain that he had to use the other non instrument runway. At night, with an engine out, in ice, with a bad cross-wind. And he couldn't go anywhere else. It can and does happen that you must be able to fly the airplane yourself.