PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PVRs started.....
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2011, 23:38
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our leaders (CAS, CDS etc) are lost, and they must know it - When we watch leadership videos, or do courses at JSCSC on leadership, we exclusively look to leaders from the past for our lessons. Is that a lesson in itself? (rhetorical - answers not req'd)
Answers not required, but you'll get some anyway <g> An extremely well made point, is there anyone who hasn't been trained to be Gregory Peck in 12 O clock High? (Although one enjoyable CRM course did centre on Blackadder joining the RFC under Lord Flasheart).

Actually I found quite a lot of officers I would have followed, I think good guys existed at least until 2000 when I left, but part of why I left was the realisation that the good guys often didn't get very far while some absolute gits went up the ranks like rockets. I think the highest ranking chaps I encountered who I'd willingly follow were one stars - one of them from the fast jet world who I only worked with a few weeks. Some good guys did better, I liked them when I knew them (Sqn Ldr/Wingco level tops). They might be great guys, but how promotion affected them I don't know (but hope for the best).

SFFP - I think us enlisted (and ex) filth are often accorded a very respectful (sometimes positively indulgent) hearing, you'd be a happier camper if you'd discard that big chip...don't automatically go for the stereotypical disgruntled NCO act, you're probably better than that but your natural humour and cuddliness isn't coming across well and it undermines the points you make.

Dave