PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2011, 19:26
miguli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not?

I have been following this thread for two months now, that is since I learned that I would not likely see a pay-rise at my current job as PA-34 flight instructor for, oh well ever. That, by the way, was also the trigger for me to apply for Cathay.

With all the experts here I would just lie to ask you to put yourselves into my shoes for just one minute and consider the options, whichafter you are more than welcome to give any suggestion you feel I should consider:

Facts:
- 39 year old male (I know, if I was a female I would've been hired long time ago but I'm not)
- 1600 hours total now, last flight 3 hours ago, accumulating at 50-75 hours MEP each month, 1185 hours dual given of which 710 in Seneca III/Seminole. However at the moment I feel that I can wipe my bottom every evening with the hours I accumulate as none of that is is multi-crew.
- I have been to Hong Kong 8 times now, I love the city for several reasons and I am dying to get out of the western-European ****hole I live in now.
- My wife has a very reputable profession which practically allows her to get a job and live anywhere in the world. She is willing to move to Asia anytime.
- If it makes any difference, we have no kids and will most likely never have. Would be interesting to know if this makes a difference at an interview. From someone who can give an impartial, purely rational answer, that is.
- As an option, I am seriously considering feeding myself on rice alone for two years and getting a 737NG type rating but I am curious if that would help at all. There have been some instances who seem to just want the type rating and not the notorious "500 hours on type". Would I be flushing my wallet down the drain again or is it something to consider? A lot of people here feel that a wannabe-first officer should still not have to pay for his type rating but I want to be a realist in this matter.
- Oh, if it is still unclear to someone reading this, I am willing to sacrifice pay, social life (again, the wife's work has taught me a new meaning to the term "social life") and friends in order to do what I have always wanted to for a living.
- I HAVE thought about it, long and hard; bottom line is that I don't see why a man in my situation should NOT take this job? What guarantees do I have that there will ever be a better one while I'm still in contention? I currently earn 25000 HKD/month and the offer is 45000, basic math tells me I'm a fool not to take it even if the money is not my priority.

Pessimists, now is your turn...