PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article about lack of hand flying skills - FAA concerned
Old 9th Sep 2011, 14:59
Plectron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really confused why there is any serious discussion about this subject.

Outside of the carriers (and their minions who will defend them) who have let their zero time FOs languish in the right seat for thousands of long haul "hours', many logged in the bunk, and have done nothing to improve their flying skills - ie set up a commuter for them to earn their bones or encourage or require some flying in an airplane where you can't memorize the PFD picture in the sim to get a desired result, I can't see how anyone can argue this.

Almost every military hot stick started out as a zero time cadet. Starting as a cadet is not the problem.

Lufthansa does not have this problem. Neither does BA. I don't work for either and could not if I wanted to.

If you don't know how to use the automation you can't pass the sim checks anywhere- that isn't really an issue, so it isn't what is better or more desirable- hot chops or good automation skills. The issue is that there are thousands of so called pilots sitting in big jets who never really learned to fly and, with the program they are in and the amount of hand flying the will get in their career, probably never will.

Do you really want to divert into KEF February 4 with a 30 knot crosswind and patchy ice with a Captain with less than 400 hours total actual flying experience in his entire life? A guy that was picked for the ab initio for reasons other than aviation interest and aptitude in the first place? Keep in mind there are plenty of people worldwide of all ethnicities and nationalities who would love to do the job. Besides 4 or 5 star service of whatever ridiculous claim they have in the back, what is the airline's priority? It ain't putting the most capable person in the left seat that's for sure - and I am not advocating DECs here, just to quell that squawk. You can't upgrade a great Captain if you don't start with a good FO. Cr** FOs make cr** Captains. Always have and always will.