PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2011, 13:55
LazyEights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woefully inadequate

Dan Buster - Interesting choice of words. I just wrote exactly that in a long article highlighting some hard truth about what CX is not telling you guys who are thinking about joining.

Nutshell - The CEP package is very difficult to live on in Hong Kong to the point where you will be financially handcuffing yourselves by signing on to it. CX is trying to set the bar as low as it can and is seemingly not informing candidates of the real situation the regarding cost of living (which they really don't have any concept of on the CEP salary sale) and the ramifications of the contract it is binding you to. Tread very carefully, ask as many questions as you can and do as much research as you can because it'll be your signature at the bottom of the page.

CX-A330 / Your wife will likely have a hard time getting a job as a nurse in HK if she doesn't speak Cantonese, Mandarin and English. I have no idea about her license transfer-ability but with doctors, it's not that straight forward so assume with nurses it'll be the same. HK is notorious for wanting to assess professional skills themselves rather than just converting them from other states. It's a way to generate income for the Government.

As for buying a house in HK - unless your wife wife is going to earn a lot (which she's not as a nurse) or you have bags of money, you will not be able to purchase a house for many years. I don't know your expectations but to own something even halfway ok, you will need an absolute minimum of 2.5-3M HK dollars cash as a down payment.

Suggest you and all "FH Wannabes" read the article on previous page, consider it and digest the information within. It is provided by current CEP's who know the ins and outs of living in HK and how difficult it is.

Lazy - Out