PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IRELAND WEST AIRPORT KNOCK
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2011, 09:19
sawtooth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I was shocked to hear what's been going on in iwak. But I understand that these measures need to be taken to secure the survival of the airport.
I think the reason many are surprised is that the management seemed to have the right strategy for most of the last decade. Through the early 90s it was 'managed' by local counsellors and vested interests with no clear vision. Lets not forget you would have been laughed at if you suggested NOC would have 25 destinations and year round scheduled sun routes.

But after 2000 a new chairman was appointed and a seemingly strong management team assembled with key skills in business organisation, marketing and operations who:
- Reorganised business divisions and modernised operations
- Developed a sustainable low-cost base
- Developed a 20 year strategy and vision
- Conducted market research and data gathering to support the strategy
- Differentiated and raised profile through well executed, consistent visual branding
- Invested a lot in marketing campaigns including UK press and TV at the peak
- Developed a business case for investment and capital development
- Commissioned an independent 20 year development master-plan
- Delivered several key infrastructure projects to cater for expansion

Much of that seems like common sense but not easily delivered successfully or funded. I think they were well ahead of many other small airports in this regard as we see from the panic when state supports were cut elsewhere.

Yes survival is probably the new strategy in light of funding cuts, PSO cut, declining passenger spend, increased energy costs etc. The economic fundamentals are now very different from the years of double digit GDP. 2010 ash and winter weather problems must have been a shock driving extra caution. NOC have done well to maintain and add services, I just hope they aren't too aggressive in scaling back their strategy.