PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age requirements (and hours) in ME!! carriers
Old 9th Sep 2011, 01:36
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smiffy

I don't doubt in my particular case there was more to it than just age. At least, I think of it that way. But that was definitely part of his concern. My age (at the time).
Age limits seem to be rising lately though. I see some will accept 63 year olds with the right credentials.
As for me, not everything I touch turns to gold so things usually go a certain way for certain reasons and I'm sure pilots who play the interview "game" do a much better job of it than I. The interview process is a two way street so, in retrospect, I'm not sure it would have been a good fit for me either. Maybe that occurred to them more quickly than it did to me? Some aspects of their interview process (again, at that time), I found bothersome, inappropriate and annoying which didn't actually put me in the right frame of mind from the get-go. When you're jet lagged, even after a days rest on arrival, things don't always fall into place. But simply stated, I'll never know, and it really doesn't matter now. I'd say I didn't deliver the goods on the day so they didn't hire me, but it was never discussed and did that matter?
I started flying later than most (29) and have always been on the trailing edge of the hiring waves since 1978 and the age factor has been my nemesis from day one.

I've been quite happy with what I've had over the years and how things have turned out and that's all I can or ever should expect. My employer seems pleased with my attitude, work ethic and performance. Perhaps they just have lower standards and expectations than that dominant middle eastern carrier. But HEY, whatever works.

FWIW, early 40s is anything but old.
Have a great career.

cheers,
Willie

Last edited by Willie Everlearn; 9th Sep 2011 at 02:30.