PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2011, 01:24
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Clandestino,
Quote:
Let me see.... you pull the stick and are shouted at that you are about to stall for 54 seconds, at least two (and probably three) airspeeds are agreeing and going down, eventually pitch is positive yet the altimeter is unwinding. Somehow you conclude that all those are not clues enough that you're stalled. I am at loss to explain this. Would you, please?
Simple.
0200 mindfog, automation overdependence and atrophied/inadequate emergency skills resulting in failure to see the forest for the trees.

A competent pilot, faced with an emergency, should be looking for the big picture. You have to throw out the chaff to form the big picture. If you live with years of routine operations, it is too easy to end up just staring at an indication that is lying or unhelpful. You need to scan, scan, scan until you build a sensible big picture, and until you do, it is very easy to form a faulty picture. This is a demanding mental activity and fatigue can cripple your mind.

When the Fit hits the Shan, you have to rev up your brain first. The normal inflight slog does not work. A little adrenaline can be helpful. An excess of adrenaline can greatly interfere. The difference between these two states results from your learned response to emergencies. You have to learn how to control your own body.

I remember a 4 plane formation flight when I was a student that inter-meshed with a 2 plane flight going at a 90 degree heading to ours. An adrenaline kick resulted of course, but I just told myself-"The emergency is over, no need to get excited." and it worked. Managing/controlling the adrenaline response is one of the skills you have to develop, but I think you get precious little opportunity in the majority of airline flying.

I would imagine that the Abidjan A310 accident lessons have factored into the stall warning design on the later 'Busses. ASN Aircraft accident Airbus A310-304 5Y-BEN Abidjan-Felix Houphouet Boigny Airport (ABJ) although It still seems possible to have a similar incorrect stall warning on the current machines.
I see no reason for stall warning to be inhibited at any airspeed with weight off the wheels. That has to be a mistake. As I have said before, AOA is primary flight information, and should not be inhibited by another type of primary flight information.
Similarly, autotrim must not trim into a stall. Even the test pilots avoid doing that if they can-it is too hazardous.