PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of the helicopter is electric.
Old 8th Sep 2011, 17:51
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at the photos, it's interesting to note that there is no collective pitch mechanism or sprag clutch in the drivetrain - that would worry me. This will likely be the main area of development before getting out of ground effect. Interesting to see if a conventional swash plate, with cyclic mechanism, makes it into the design too. Power reserve would also allow higher inertia rotors, which will help desensitise control for improved dynamic stability, as well as extra margin for when the batteries run flat.

That yaw setup with a potentiometer on each pedal controlling motor rpm is interesting, although I can't imagine rpm controlled collective to be easy. If collective mechanisms are fitted then differential collective yaw control will likely be fitted, but this will lead to force control rather than velocity control. If all of the control headaches like reduced yaw authority in autorotation are to be avoided it would be a pity if some kind of differential velocity yaw system was not kept. As long as motors are reliable then they may as well stay there, even if put through a geared differential. Even in autorotation the motors will quite happily transfer power from one rotor to the other.

That landing gear is subtle but clever, if I see it right. The skid struts point to the centre of mass, while being suported from below by tensioning bungees. This allows for some landing energy adsorption, and will not try to topple the machine if a skid touches down in sideways flight. Instead the offending skid will fold under the machine pushing upward through the CG.

In summary: Some initial oversights with some clever features

In conclusion: Congratulations Pascal!

Last edited by Graviman; 8th Sep 2011 at 18:21.